Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Operating: Batting

Batting! Lots and lots and lots of batting!

I hung it from my bookshelf to relax it for a night before I begin quilting unnamed quilt #1. I should really look into getting that quilt named. It kind of looks like a ghost in my room; a huge, bookshelf-shaped ghost. I really love the batting, though, all soft and cottony. This particular batting is Dream Cotton; it's not very heavy, which is good for this particular quilt, which is going to be machine quilted, but the next one is going with me to the UK so I was thinking about getting a heavier batting for it.


Next on my list of things are the two machine quilted samples that I made. I'm binding the nine-square for Ch. because he needs something to keep his lucky bamboo on, and the four square is not getting bound. The nine-square has an Orange Peel pattern quilted on, with the walking foot, and the four-square has a template fleur-de-lis that was done freemotion.

So I had a lot of fun with the freemotion, but I need a lot more practice with it because it's predictably a little bit difficult. But I can write my name! I prefer the walking foot machine quilting. I'm really looking forward, though, to learning how to handstitch, because that's what I'll have the resources for in the UK, since I'm not taking my machine with me.

Over and out~

1 comment:

  1. Don't get too heavy a batting, for here in the uk especially if you are going to hand quilt it. I did one with a heavy cotton batting it was a nightmare to hand quilt and it pins me to the bed! It makes my feet hurt coz it is so heavy too! Last year I made a quilt for my daughter which was hand quilted I use a wool batting it was a dream to quilt and is lovely and warm foe her bed.
    Your quilting look very good I like the free motion one.

    ReplyDelete