Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Operating: Quilt 3

It's been a ridiculously long time since I last posted, probably because my work started to shift way into costuming for the summer, but now I'm back to work with the quilts! My aunt's daughter (who is technically my cousin, but she's also much older than me, and I've only met her once when I was very young) just had a baby and my aunt asked me to make her granddaughter a quilt.

And so I did. She wanted butterflies as her theme but the quilt shop had no butterflies except in some very dark Asian print, and so I just went with some bubbly colors instead. My mom wants me to applique some butterflies on there, as sort of a concession, but I think it's too late, or maybe I'm just too lazy. We'll see how well she convinces me otherwise.

Pictures!



It's very basic, just a rail fence with a zigzag layout. It was kind of fun to figure out the layout! Also it's machine quilted with a jigsaw pattern that took me relatively little time (a couple of hours, this quilt is not very big - this picture is deceptive).

With backing and binding:



As you can see my ridiculous obsession with bluebirds continues with this quilt.

All right things learned!

1. Freemotion quilting can be painful to the wrists. Next time wear a brace on your right hand while doing the quilting.

2. Review binding. Do a couple of potholders or something.

Things accomplished! (besides the quilt, obviously)

1. CLEAN CORNERS oh my god I'm so proud. None of the squares try and tug away from the corners like they did in my first quilt. I pinned that one too but with this one I was extra careful because it had been an issue in my last quilt.

2. A whole freemotion quilt. I was nervous but I sat and practiced a little first. Sometimes the pattern gets a little...uh...well, unique, and I have to even out some of the stitching where it caught under my freemotion foot (something I'm pretty sure that my teacher mentioned in class, but it was probably around the same time she was telling to slow down.)

3. A quilt for someone else.

I have tons of extra squares because I got a little carried away when I made the quilt. Maybe I will make a matching diaper bag, but we shall see. If I do that it'll be from a sewing pattern which might make it a little strange. I don't know if I have time before I leave for school anyway.

Over and out!

C

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a lovely project, and also on all things learned! It's that learning that helps us in future projects, however, don't let those aspects keep you from enjoying this one. I'm in awe of your free-motion quilting! I have never been able to do that well enough, and have resorted to tying most of my projects. Your corners are indeed, very clean and lovely. This is a cheerful quilt, love the colors and patterns. I'll be watching to see what develops with the tons of squares left over.

    ReplyDelete